DBEDT NEWS RELEASE: THEATRE TO TAKE CENTER STAGE IN APRIL WITH CREATIVE LAB HAWAI’I FREE PROGRAMS
Launch of First Playwrights Immersive and Brief Performs Studying Competition
HONOLULU – Celebrating each the inventive and enterprise aspect of Theatre, Inventive Lab Hawai‘i (CLH) publicizes new panels, packages, and a stay streamed pageant for April 2021. Developed by the Hawai‘i State Division of Enterprise, Financial Improvement and Tourism’s (DBEDT) Inventive Industries Division to speed up the expansion of Hawai‘i’s inventive workforce, CLH will current its dynamic Theatre lineup in partnership with Hawai‘i State Theatre Council, Dramatists Guild Basis (DGF), and the Dramatists Guild.
On April 24 at 2 p.m. HST, the general public is invited to attend a free play studying pageant on-line. Discussions on writing for the theatre and theatre within the digital age that includes acclaimed mentors from throughout the business may even be provided in April.
Identified for its core packages of Screenwriting, Producing, Net-Collection, Music, and Animation, CLH publicizes the finalists in its first cohort of the Playwrights Immersive, constructing on CLH’s custom of offering intensive studying packages and mentorship throughout numerous inventive disciplines. Three native creatives have been chosen, following a aggressive utility course of, to develop their craft and respective initiatives within the April CLH Playwrights Immersive: Lee Cataluna, Sean-Joseph Choo from O‘ahu, and Sean Dunnington from Hawai‘i Island.
“Our native theatre group is wealthy with expertise. We felt it was vital to uplift our playwrights via entry to theatre professionals within the business via our CLH Immersive construction,” says Georja Skinner, division chief of Inventive Industries, DBEDT. “Performers and the venues they name residence have confronted challenges brought on by the pandemic, with their homes darkish, and stay audiences placed on pause. This month of actions is just not solely a celebration of the innovation and resiliency present in our native creatives, however gives insights into navigating the evolving world of theatre and methods to skillfully pivot to interim digital streaming till the curtain rises once more for stay performances.”
“Storytelling is such an attractive a part of Hawaii’s deep cultural historical past,” mentioned DGF Govt Director, Rachel Routh. “As a corporation that works to help storytellers all through the USA, DGF is thrilled to companion with Inventive Lab Hawai‘i to supply extra alternatives for rising writing expertise to flourish on the web page, stage, and past.”
A number of of the esteemed coaches and audio system chosen to mentor the CLH’s Playwrights Immersive and Weekend Ideation packages may even lend their skills to CLH’s public occasions. The next digital occasions, all provided freed from cost and open to the group, are within the wings for April:
DIGITAL THEATRE: A NEW STAGE – Webinar on Saturday, April 3 at 1 p.m. HST
Hyperlink to register: bit.ly/CLH2021DDTHE
Be part of business consultants as they focus on the how and why of digital theatre as we emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic. Panelists embody:
- Amy C. Ashton is in her first season as Producing Affiliate at La Jolla Playhouse, with a specialty in producing site-specific and immersive theatre. Through the pandemic, her focus has been producing 14 authentic efficiency items as part of the Playhouse’s Digital WOW choices. Prior, she served as Managing Director of Colt Coeur Theatre Firm for over a decade, creating and producing 11 productions—most lately the New York Instances‘ Critic’s Decide, Eureka Day, by Jonathan Spector.
- Donna Blanchard is Managing Director of Kumu Kahua Theatre, President of the Hawai‘i State Theatre Council, Govt Crew Member of ‘Ohina Labs and Movies, and a Group Advisory Board Member of Hawai‘i Public Radio.
- Sarah Gancher’s writing has been seen on levels worldwide together with London’s Nationwide Theatre, Budapest’s Quarter6Quarter7 Competition, New York Theater Workshop, Steppenwolf, and extra. Just lately, the net manufacturing of her play Russian Troll Farm: A Office Comedy was included within the New York Instances’ High 10 Theater of 2020 listing.
- KR Riiber is a visible artist, author, and performer, and present Creative Director of The Neo-Futurist Theater. As an Ensemble Member, she created Tangles & Plaques (2017), appeared in Saturn Returns (2016), and has been writing and performing two-minute performs in The Infinite Wrench since 2012.
- Jonathan Silverstein is the Creative Director of Off Broadway’s award-winning Eager Firm, the place he has directed Strange Days (Drama League nomination), Lonely Planet, Tick, Tick…Increase! (Drama Desk nomination), Travels With My Aunt, John & Jen, Center of the Evening, and Marry Me a Little (Drama League Nomination).
- Susan Quickly He Stanton hails from Aiea, and is a celebrated screenwriter, playwright, producer, and tv author within the leisure business. She is famend for her writing on the Emmy and Golden Globe-winning HBO collection, “Succession.”
SHORT PLAYS READING FESTIVAL – Streamed Stay on Saturday, April 24 at 2 p.m. HST
Hyperlink to register: bit.ly/CLH2021THESPR
Expertise six short-play readings written by CLH fellows within the Theatre Weekend Ideation Program from throughout ka pae ‘āina o Hawai‘i. The must-see streamed occasion runs two hours, that includes CLH Ideation fellows Jessie Ren Marshall, Lin McEwan, and Ryan Okinaka, in addition to the brand new Playwrights Immersive cohort:
- Lee Cataluna’s most up-to-date commissions are for La Jolla Playhouse, Enviornment Stage in Washington, D.C., Oregon Shakespeare Competition, and San Francisco Playhouse. In 2020, she gained the Von Marie Atchley Excellence in Playwriting Award from Native Voices on the Autry. Her work regionally has been seen on the Honolulu Theatre for Youth, Kumu Kahua Theatre and UH Mānoa. She is a member of the Dramatists Guild.
- Sean-Joseph Choo is an actor, composer, and author based mostly in Honolulu. He’s invested in imagining how faith, queerness, and tradition intersect and battle. Sean loves and is devoted to the tales and folks of Hawai‘i. He’s employed at Honolulu Theatre for Youth, is a member of the Dramatists Guild and the Consortium of Asian American Theaters & Artists, and is on the Playwright Improvement Committee at Kumu Kahua Theatre.
- Sean Dunnington is from Hawaiʻi Island and obtained his experimental B.A. in Utilized Playwriting from the Johnston Middle for Integrative Research. He loves to write down about queer belonging. Sean lately accomplished a Literary Apprenticeship on the Magic Theatre for his or her 2019-2020 season, now works as a Group Specialist with numerous theatres in San Francisco and Hawaiʻi and serves because the Program Director for the Kahilu Performing Arts Workshop. He’s a proud member of the Dramatists Guild.
PLAYWRIGHTS ON PLAYWRITING – Webinar on Wednesday, April 28 at 1:00 p.m. HST
Hyperlink to register: bit.ly/CLH2021PWIPP
Be part of us as we focus on the inventive and enterprise components of writing for the theatre. Moderated by Donna Blanchard, panelists embody:
- Lloyd Suh is the creator of The Chinese language Woman, Charles Francis Chan Jr.’s Unique Oriental Homicide Thriller, American Hwangap, The Wong Children within the Secret of the Area Chupacabra Go!, Jesus in India, and others. His works have been produced with Ma-Yi, Magic, EST, NAATCO, Youngsters’s Theatre Co, Milwaukee Rep, and extra, together with the Cultural Middle of the Philippines and PCPA in Seoul, Korea. He has obtained the Helen Merrill Award, Herb Alpert Award within the Arts, and Horton Foote Prize, and is a present Guggenheim Fellow.
- Package Yan is a Yellow American NY-based artist, born in Enping, China, and raised within the Kingdom of Hawaiʻi. Package is the 2021 Kleban Prize winner, a 2019 Vivace award winner, and former fellow on the Dramatists Guild Basis. Their forthcoming work contains bodily and digital productions with Playwrights Horizons, Eager Firm, OSF, and East West Gamers. Their work has beforehand been supported by fifth Avenue Theater, The Smithsonian, Village Theater, Diversionary Theater, and lots of extra. Package is at present beneath contract to write down their first film musical for tv.
- Chay Yew has directed on the Public, New York Theatre Workshop, Playwrights Horizons, Oregon Shakespeare Competition, and Berkeley Rep, amongst others. His performs had been produced on the Public, Manhattan Theatre Membership, La Jolla Playhouse, Studio Theatre, Royal Court docket (London), TheatreWorks (Singapore), 4 Arts (Kuala Lumpur), and La Mama (Melbourne), amongst others. He obtained the OBIE Award for Route, London Fringe Award for Greatest Play, and GLAAD Media Award.
The Playwrights Immersive is a yearlong program for playwrights engaged on a two-act theatrical narrative play or musical. It features a five-day, boot camp-style clinic, adopted by a one-year teaching program that helps fellows in executing their materials as people, and as a bunch. To be thought-about for the selective program, playwrights should have written a minimal of three two-act performs and/or musicals and have participated within the Weekend Ideation.
Further world-renowned coaches and audio system that can be supporting the brand new Playwrights Immersive will embody:
- Shirley Fishman has labored with quite a few playwrights and administrators throughout twenty seasons at La Jolla Playhouse as Affiliate Creative Director, Director of New Play Improvement, and Dramaturg, creating new performs and musicals for LJP levels (together with Tony Award-winning Come from Away and Indecent).
- Michael Jackowitz is a Tony Award-winning producer, together with his in depth Broadway expertise together with previous productions similar to Tuck Eternal, the highly-anticipated Diana, slated for 2021, and his latest manufacturing Estella Scrooge, which debuted nearly in December 2020.
- Ralph Sevush, with the Dramatists Guild since 1997, is their Govt Director of Enterprise Affairs & Basic Counsel. He was Director of Enterprise Affairs for Broadway productions of BIG-The Musical, Idiot Moon, and God Stated, “HA”. He was additionally a movie govt with New Line, and is a broadcast creator and produced playwright.
- Seema Sueko is a proud alumna of College Laboratory College in Honolulu, the place they produced large musicals within the tiny “Matchbox Theater.” Seema’s arts management positions have included Deputy Creative Director at Enviornment Stage, Affiliate Creative Director at Pasadena Playhouse, and Co-Founder and Govt Creative Director of Mo`olelo Performing Arts Firm in San Diego.
To be taught extra about Inventive Lab Hawai‘i packages and panels, please go to: creativelab.hawaii.gov
To connect with Inventive Lab Hawai‘i by way of social media for the newest updates, please go to:
Fb: Inventive Lab Hawai‘i – https://www.facebook.com/creativelabhawaii/
Twitter: CreativeLabHI – https://www.twitter.com/creativelabhi
IG: CreativeLabHI – https://www.instagram.com/creativelabhi
# # #